Monday, January 27, 2014

Cocktail Bar

Tell me: is there much better than a cold, refreshing beverage in dessert form? There may well be - in fact, I'm certain there are many things that are much, much better. But after sweating it out around the house on Saturday and Sunday, waiting for the rain which didn't come, biting into this cool, tangy Mojito Slice was pretty much as good as I could ask for. And afterwards, the rain started, so it was doubly good.


This slice can thank a recipe for Mojito Bars from Betty Goes Vegan for its inspiration. I fully intended to make that recipe. But the thought of having the oven on for 40 to 50 minutes was repulsive, and my mind quickly turned to Kari's vegan lemon slice recipe. I had made them before so I knew the recipe was a keeper, and was sure it would hold up to a few alterations. So this recipe is really Kari's, as I've done little but change the flavours. But they sure are good flavours. I thought at first the base would work as a no-bake option, but on pressing it into the pan I decided to bear the oven for 10 minutes, and I'm glad I did.

Mojito Slice

1 c. oats
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. vegan butter

1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. corn flour
1 c. sugar
up to 1 c. water
3 Tbsp. white rum
1 Tbsp. fresh mint, finely chopped
zest and juice from 2 or 3 limes

Line a slice pan with baking paper and heat the oven to 180 (350F). In a food processor or mini chopper, whizz up the oats and sugar until they look like coarse flour. Add the butter, and let the processor run until it's fully incorporated. You could add water if it looks really crumbly, but I didn't need to. Press it into the lined pan, using wet hands to keep the mix from being sticky. Bake it for 10 minutes and then let it cool while you make the topping.

In a measuring jug, combine the rum, mint and lime zest. Juice the limes into the jug. I used one large, juicy lime and 2 small, kinda dry limes. All up, it should come to about 1/2 cup of juice and rum combined. If you have more than 1/2 cup, use a bit less water in the next step.

In a small saucepan, whisk together the flour, corn flour and sugar. Slowly add the water and whisk until smooth. Bring it up to a boil, whisking constantly, and then turn the heat to low and cook it for a few minutes - up to 5. It will get really thick, but soon you will add more liquid, so no need to worry. Whisk in the lime juice mixture with the pan over the heat, then when everything is incorporated take it off the heat. Pour this over the cooked base. Refrigerate the whole thing for a while - overnight is best, really. Keep it chilled until you're ready to eat it, and remember that the alcohol doesn't really cook off!



5 comments:

Kari said...

This is a brilliant adaptation Theresa! What great flavours for summer - and I definitely like my alcohol in dessert form more than the regular type ;) I'll have to give this a try.

I'm glad you could save some oven time too!

Anonymous said...

ooooh I have soooo bookmarked this!

vegan.in.brighton said...

That looks so summery and delicious, when it stops being winter I'm going to have to make this!

Joey said...

I think these could be seriously dangerous. How could you stop at just one? Love the idea though. I can see these in my future!

Sandy said...

oh my oh my oh my!!!!!!! That looks soooo totally DELICIOUS :D